6/14/2008

B idioms (2)

(English Idioms & Sayings) B IDIOMS (2)
becoming on/to (someone)

- to make someone look good
The red dress looked very becoming on my girlfriend.

(no) bed of roses

- a situation that is happy and comfortable (usually used in the negative)
The new job was very difficult and certainly no bed of roses.

(have a) bee in one`s bonnet

- to have an idea that continually occupies one`s thoughts.
My friend has a bee in her bonnet about going to Europe next year.

beef up (something)

- to make something stronger
The police beefed up the security around the convention site.

before long

- soon
I had to wait a few minutes but before long my friend arrived to meet me.

beg the question

- to invite the question that follows
The purchase of the expensive car begged the question of where the man got the money.

beg to differ with (someone)

- to politely disagree with someone
"I'm sorry but I beg to differ with you about what happened."

begin to see the light

- to begin to understand (something)
My sister began to see the light and decided to leave her boyfriend.

behind closed doors

- in secret
The meeting to settle the dispute took place behind closed doors.

behind in/on (something)

- to be late with something
I was behind in my studies and stayed home all weekend to study.

behind schedule

- to fail to do something by the time on the schedule
The trains were behind schedule because of the accident early in the morning.

behind (someone`s) back

- without someone`s knowledge, secretly
The man is very angry because his friend borrowed his car behind his back.

behind the scenes

- privately, out of public view
The diplomats worked behind the scenes to try and solve the crisis.

behind the times

- to be old-fashioned
My aunt is behind the times.

Posted by Learning English through Idioms and Sayings

0 comments: