6/19/2008

Heart Idioms

Heart Idioms(idioms-sayings.blogspot.com - English Idioms & Sayings)

HEART IDIOMS

aching heart

- a feeling of sadness that one has when love has been lost or has faded
The young woman spent the weekend alone with her aching heart.

after one`s own heart

- to be well-liked for agreeing with one`s own feelings/interests/ideas
My new boss loves to go fishing. He is a man after my own heart.

at heart

- basically, essentially, what one really is rather than what one seems to be
The man seems to be angry all the time but actually he is a very gentle person at heart.

bleeding heart

- someone who feels too much sympathy for people such as poor people or criminals etc.
The man is a bleeding heart and he is always asked by other people for money to help others.

break (someone`s) heart

- to make someone feel sad or hopeless (usually from love or a similar loss)
It broke my heart to see the boy who had just lost his dog.

close/near to (someone's) heart

- an idea or something that is important to you and that you care about
The plan to improve the downtown area was very close to the mayor's heart.

cross one`s heart and hope to die

- to say or promise that what you have said is true (often used by children)
"I promise that I will meet you tomorrow. Cross my heart and hope to die."

die of a broken heart

- to die of emotional distress, to suffer from emotional distress (from a failed romance)
The man almost died of a broken heart several times when he was a teenager.
do (someone's) heart good
- to make someone feel good, to make someone healthy
It does one's heart good to get a reasonable amount of exercise every day.

do (something) in a heartbeat

- to do something almost immediately if you have the chance
I would change jobs in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

eat one`s heart out

- to suffer from excessive longing or envy
"You can eat your heart out but I will not give you a piece of this chocolate cake."

find it in one's heart to (do something)

- to have the courage or compassion to do something
I could not find it in my heart to tell the young woman that she could not continue to work at the company.

follow one's heart

- to act according to one's feelings
The boy followed his heart and decided to study music at school.

from the bottom of one`s heart
- with great feeling, sincerely
My sister thanked the man from the bottom of her heart for saving her dog`s life.
from the heart

- sincerely, honestly
The speech by the politician was right from the heart.

get to the heart of (something)

- to understand the most important/essential thing about something
It took a long time but we finally got to the heart of the problem with the new computer.

go (somewhere) in a heartbeat

- to go somewhere almost immediately if you have the chance
I would go camping in the mountains in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

have a big heart

- to be very kind/generous/helpful
The man has a big heart and he will always try to help other people.

have a change of heart

- to change the way one feels/thinks about something
I had a change of heart and I decided to go to the movie with my friend.

have a heart

- to be a generous and forgiving person
I wish that our boss would have a heart and try to help other people.

Have a heart!

- Don't be unkind or do something mean or cruel!
"Have a heart," I told my supervisor when he said that I must work during the weekend.
have a heart of gold

- to be kind/generous/friendly
My grandmother has a heart of gold and she is always willing to help a stranger.

have a heart of stone

- to be cold and unfriendly
The man who murdered his wife and children has a heart of stone.

have a heart-to-heart talk with (someone)

- to have a sincere and intimate talk with someone
I had a heart-to-heart talk with my girlfriend last evening.
have a soft spot in one's heart (for someone or something)

- to be fond of someone or something
My grandfather always had a soft spot in his heart for his youngest daughter.
have one`s heart set on (something)

- to want something very much
The little boy has his heart set on getting a dog for his birthday.

heart and soul

- the core or total person
The girl loved her boyfriend heart and soul.

heart bleeds for (someone)

- to feel sympathy for someone
My heart bleeds for the family who lost their father in the accident.

Posted by Learning English through Idioms and Sayings/Proverbs

0 comments: