6/18/2008

Leg and Foot Idioms

(English Idioms & Sayings)Leg and Foot Idioms

Achilles' heel (of someone or something)

- the weak part of a person/place/system/argument which can easily be attacked or criticized
The lack of skilled workers was the Achilles' heel of the government's plans to prepare for the Olympics.

at one`s heels

- close behind someone
The large car was at my heels during my drive into town.

back on one`s feet

- to recover from sickness or trouble, to become independent again
Our teacher was back on her feet shortly after her accident.

balls of one's feet

- the bottom of the feet just under the toes
The balls of my feet were very sore after walking around all day.

bound hand and foot

- to have one's hands and feet tied up
The bank manager was bound hand and foot by the three bank robbers.

Break a leg!

- Good luck! (an expression that is used in theater performances)
"Break a leg!" the director called to the lead actor.

bring (someone) to heel

- to make someone obey you or pay attention to you again after they have stopped doing this
The new supervisor quickly brought her employees to heel.

bring (someone or something) to its/their knees

- to have a negative effect or destroy someone or a group of people, to defeat someone/something
The strike by the teachers quickly brought the school to its knees.

charley horse

- a cramp in one's arm or leg from straining oneself
I got a charley horse after running this morning.

cool one`s heels

- to be forced to wait by someone in power or authority
I was forced to cool my heels in the lobby for an hour while I waited for the job interview.

cost an arm and a leg

- to cost much money
My father paid an arm and a leg for his car and he loves driving it.

dead on one's feet

- very tired, worn out
I was dead on my feet when I returned from shopping all day.

dig in one's heels

- to refuse to change one's mind or course of action
The man decided to dig in his heels and refuse to accept the offer to settle the dispute.

dip one's toe in the water

- to slowly start to do something new to see if you like it or if other people will approve of it
I am doing some volunteer work at the hospital to try and dip my toe in the water of working in the medical field.

down-at-the-heels

- poorly dressed, looking poor
A man who looked down-at-the-heels came to the small cafe for dinner.

drag one`s feet/heels

- to act slowly or reluctantly
Our company is dragging their feet in making a decision to hire new workers.

fall head over heels

- to fall down (and maybe roll over)
The little boy fell head over heels when he fell down in the park.

fall head over heels in love (with someone)

- to fall deeply in love with someone
The young man fell head over heels in love with the girl in his English class.

feet of clay

- a hidden fault or weakness in a respected person
The new manager has feet of clay and may not last very long in his new position.

find one's feet

- to become used to a new situation or experience
I was able to easily find my feet when I started my new job.

follow in (someone's) footsteps

- to do what someone else has done (especially to do the same job as one's father or mother)
The young man followed in his father's footsteps and decided to become an accountant.

footloose and fancy-free

- able to do whatever you want without any obligations
The couple have no children and they are footloose and fancy-free.

from head to toe

- from the top of one's head to one's feet
I dressed warmly from head to toe before I went outside.

get a foothold (somewhere)

- to get an initial position of support, to reach a starting point
The small company was able to get a foothold in the breakfast cereal market.

get a toehold (somewhere)

- to get an initial position of support, to reach a starting point
We were able to finally get a toehold in the textbook market.

get cold feet

- to become timid or afraid to do or try something
I wanted to go to Europe with my cousin but he got cold feet and decided not to go.

get off on the wrong foot

- to make a bad start to a relationship or something else
Unfortunately my relationship with my new teacher got off on the wrong foot.

Posted by Learning English through Idioms and Sayings

0 comments: