6/20/2008

Idiom Quizzes - R

(English Idioms & Sayings) Idiom Quizzes - R

    Choose an idiom to replace the expression in the brackets:


  1. He is (taking a chance) that he will become sick.

    (a) rubbing it in (b) running a risk (c) raising eyebrows (d) racking his brains



  2. The antique phonograph that I found is the (genuine thing).

    (a) rough guess (b) real McCoy (c) rat race (d) raw deal



  3. Our sales manager (scolded me) for my poor sales record.

    (a) raked me over the coals (b) read between the lines (c) ran around in circles (d) rubbed me the wrong way



  4. I was (tricked into) helping my friend fix his car.

    (a) raked over the coals (b) ruled out (c) roped into (d) run ragged



  5. The man has been (exhausted) all week from looking after the children.

    (a) raising eyebrows (b) running a risk (c) racking his brains (d) run ragged



  6. The man's name does not (remind me of anything) so maybe I have never met him.

    (a) raise Cain (b) ring a bell (c) rub anything in (d) raise eyebrows



  7. My uncle (is the boss) in his family.

    (a) rules out (b) rules the roost (c) reads between the lines (d) runs a risk



  8. The boys have been (causing trouble) in the other classroom.

    (a) ruling the roost (b) ringing a bell (c) right off the bat (d) raising Cain



  9. I told the new employee (immediately) that he must come to work every day.

    (a) right off the bat (b) rough-and-ready (c) right under his nose (d) a rough guess



  10. The recent announcement (caused much surprise) at the meeting.

    (a) rubbed something in (b) raised eyebrows (c) ran ragged (d) ruled the roost



  11. By (searching for the hidden meaning) during the speech I knew what the speaker wanted to say.

    (a) rubbing something in (b) reading between the lines (c) racking my brains (d) ruling things out



  12. The woman believes that she received (unfair treatment) at her last job.

    (a) a rat race (b) a rough guess (c) the real McCoy (d) a raw deal



  13. "Please do not continue to (talk about) my poor exam results."

    (a) run ragged (b) rub in (c) run into (d) rough guess



  14. The man has been (acting confused) all day as he prepares for his presentation.

    (a) running around in circles (b) rocking the boat (c) ruling the roost (d) raking in the money



  15. I (tried hard) to remember his name.

    (a) raked in the money (b) racked my brains (c) ran out of something (d) ripped someone off



  16. I (met her) again last week for the first time in four years.

    (a) raked in the money for her (b) ripped her off (c) ran into her (d) rang a bell for her



  17. I was downtown on Saturday when I (crashed into) another car.

    (a) ran ragged (b) ran into (c) roped into (d) ruled out



  18. You can (eliminate) the possibility of a pay increase this year because of the bad economy.

    (a) roll in (b) rip off (c) rule out (d) rope into



  19. We decided to move to the country because we did not like the (endless busy days) in the city.

    (a) red herring (b) rat race (c) real McCoy (d) raw deal



  20. I thought that I had lost my wallet but I later found it (right beside me).

    (a) raising Cain (b) raking in the money (c) right under my nose (d) ruling the roost



  21. He is very rude and his actions always (irritate me).

    (a) rub me the wrong way (b) run around in circles (c) run ragged (d) rule the roost



  22. It was (raining very hard) so we did not leave the house all day.

    (a) raising Cain (b) raining cats and dogs (c) raising eyebrows (d) a raw deal



  23. I never go to that store because the owner always tries to (cheat me).

    (a) raise eyebrows (b) rip me off (c) ring a bell (d) read between the lines



  24. The man has been (making a lot of money) since he bought the hamburger franchise.

    (a) rocking the boat (b) ruling the roost (c) right under my nose (d) raking in the money



  25. I made (an approximate guess) as to how many people would come to the party.

    (a) a red-letter day (b) a rough guess (c) a raw deal (d) a real McCoy



  26. I will go and get the book for you (immediately).

    (a) rough-and-ready (b) run ragged (c) right away (d) right under my nose



    Posted by idioms-sayings.blogspot.com - Learning English through Idioms and Sayings

0 comments: