6/20/2008

S Idioms

(English Idioms & Sayings) Idioms beginning with S

sack out

- to go to bed, to go to sleep
I sacked out as soon as I arrived home last evening.

a sacred cow

- something that is never criticized or laughed at even if it sometimes deserves to be
The medical insurance system is a sacred cow of the government and is never criticized by anyone.

sadder but wiser

- unhappy but educated (said about someone or something after an unpleasant experience)
The man was sadder but wiser after he learned that his wallet had been stolen.

saddle (someone) with (something)

- to give someone something undesirable or difficult to deal with
I try not to saddle my friend with the problems that I am having at work.

safe and sound

- to be safe/whole/healthy
We arrived at our destination safe and sound after a long journey.

to be on the safe side

- to take no chances
It may rain so to be on the safe side I think that I will bring my umbrella.

safety in numbers

- to feel safe by being surrounded by a large number of people
There was safety in numbers when the students went to complain to the principal about their new teacher.

sage advice

- very good and wise advice
I waited for my friend to ask me for my sage advice regarding his problems.

sail into (someone)

- to scold or criticize someone very hard, to attack someone
When I entered the office my supervisor sailed into me for being late.

sail right through (something)

- to finish something quickly and easily
I was able to sail right through the material for my final exam.

sail under false colors

- to pretend to be something that one is not
The politician was sailing under false colors when he appealed to the citizens for votes.

salt away money

- to save money
My friend has salted away much money from her new job.

salt of the earth

- basic and fundamentally good people
The members of our club are all the salt of the earth and are fun to spend time with.

same as (someone or something)

- to be identical to someone or something
My sister is exactly the same as the girl who lives down the block.

Same here!

- Me too! I agree!
"Same here," I replied when someone said that they were having problems with their Internet provider.

same old story

- something that occurs or has occurred in the same way before
It is always the same old story with my friend. He borrows money but he never wants to pay it back.

same to you

- the same comment applies to you
"The same to you," the boy said when his friend said that he was stupid.

sands of time

- the accumulated tiny amounts of time (like the sand in an hourglass)
The sands of time have done much to change the woman's attitude toward her sister.

save face

- to preserve one`s good reputation or dignity when something has happened to hurt it
Our boss was very embarrassed when our company lost a lot of money. However, he was able to save face when he showed that the problems were outside of his control.

save one`s breath

- to remain silent because talking will do no good
You may as well save your breath and not talk to her as she will not believe you anyway.

save one`s neck/skin

- to save oneself from danger or trouble
The man left the scene of the fire as soon as possible in order to save his neck.

save (something) for a rainy day

- to reserve something/money for the future
I always try to save some money for a rainy day when I get paid.

save the day

- to bring about victory or success (when defeat is likely)
The player saved the day for his team when he played his best game of the season.

save up for (something)

- to save money in order to buy something
My friend's brother is saving up for a new digital camera.

saved by the bell

- to be rescued from a difficult situation just in time by something that brings the situation to a sudden end
I was saved by the bell and do not have to give my presentation until tomorrow.

saving grace

- something that saves someone or something that would otherwise be a total disaster
The man's saving grace was his mathematical ability. His other personality traits were very strange.

Posteb by idioms-sayings.blogspot.com - a Learning English through Idioms and Sayings weblog.

0 comments: